This position assists in the quality management and compliance of the facilities health information. Responsible for keeping patient medical records organized and updated. Collects, compiles, processes and makes medical records available to authorized users in a manner that is consistent with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains and updates patient records, which include medical histories, treatments and examinations.
- Assembles medical charts and prepares them for the units.
- Files and stores medical records.
- Pulls and processes patient medical records as needed.
- Ensures patient medical records are retrieved for physicians and departments in a timely manner as needed for patient care and auditing and other purposes.
- Routinely collects all discharged patient medical records as to ensure all records are secured in the Health Information Department.
- Accurately files all returning patient medical records.
- Maintains neatly assembled medical records in an established standardized order.
- Performs chart analysis of patient medical records for accuracy, completeness, appropriate signatures and dates in a timely manner as to ensure compliance with facilities policy and procedures and regulatory agencies requirements.
- Responsible for coordinating and responding to requests for Release of Information.
- Answers incoming calls in a timely manner and responds to caller’s needs. Returns calls left on voicemail within 24 hours.
Qualifications and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Associates Degree in Health Information technology or Bachelor’s degree in Health Science or Health Information preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and adheres to all Federal and State regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality of employees and vendors at all times.
- Detail oriented with accurate data entry skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Proficiency with software and/or equipment (Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, and Excel.)
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize projects, work relatively independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.