Desert Parkway co-sponsored the preview screening of the impactful documentary, “Understanding the Opiate Epidemic,” along-side Vegas PBS and other Las Vegas behavioral healthcare and detox/rehab organizations on Thursday, January 11th, 2018 at the College of Southern Nevada.
The community of Las Vegas is unfortunately beginning to experience a most troubling and potentially lethal health issue that is gripping our nation today – the abuse and addiction of painkillers. It is one of the fastest growing public health problems impacting on a national, state, county, city, and local community level throughout America. Las Vegas is not immune to this destructive health crisis and community killer. This terrible problem has directly contributed to much suffering and has been described by many as an ‘Opioid Epidemic’. The preview screening will include content discussion and community engagement by a panel of esteemed healthcare experts:
- Allen Marino, MD – Medical Operations Director, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Frank Nemec, MD – Community Physician, Gastroenterology Associates
- Mel Pohl, MD, DFASAM – Chief Medical Officer of Las Vegas Recovery Center
- Amitabh Singh, MD – Medical Director, Desert Parkway Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
- Stephanie Woodard, Psy.D. – Licensed Psychologist, Senior Advisor on Behavioral Health for the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, the Division of Public and Behavioral Health
The preview screening is hosted by Vegas PBS through its community health outreach service, the Desert Meadows Area Health Education Center (AHEC). Part of Desert Meadows AHEC’s community engagement initiatives include screening events and panels to strengthen health awareness in Southern Nevada by fostering educational interactions between medical professionals and community members.